- nounthe beam of a car's headlights that provides distant illumination• Hypernyms:
* * *noun: the focus of a vehicle headlight that sends the light forward for maximum long-range illumination of the road ahead and is intended for driving in open country — contrasted with low beam
* * *an automobile headlight beam providing bright, long-range illumination of a darkened road and chiefly for use in driving in nonurban areas.Also, highbeam. Cf. low beam.[1935-40]
* * *high beam,the stronger of the two beams in automobile headlights.
* * *n. the brightest setting of a vehicle's headlights■ high beams the headlights of a vehicle when set on high beam
glare from the high beams of a car coming up behind them
* * *noun, pl ⋯ beamsUS : the setting of a vehicle's headlights that makes the brightest light[noncount]
The car's headlights were on high beam.
Useful english dictionary. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
high beam — high′ beam′ n. aum a bright headlight beam providing long range illumination of a road, chiefly for use in nonurban areas • Etymology: 1935–40 … From formal English to slang
high beam — n. the brighter, long range setting of a vehicle s headlights … English World dictionary
high beam — All cars have at least two levels of lighting for night driving. The low beam is used when there are other vehicles approaching or when you are following another vehicle. The high beam is used when driving on poorly lit roads where there is no… … Dictionary of automotive terms
high beam — /haɪ ˈbim/ (say huy beem) noun 1. Motor Vehicles the setting in one or more of the headlights which causes the more powerful of the two filaments built into the bulb to shine its light forward almost horizontally so as to light up the road ahead … Australian English dictionary
high-beam — noun The setting of an automobiles headlights adjusted to brighten a longer distance in front of the car, than when on the normal (low beam) setting. Turn off your high beams youre blinding the oncoming traffic … Wiktionary
high beam — an automobile headlight beam providing bright, long range illumination of a darkened road and chiefly for use in driving in nonurban areas. Also, highbeam. Cf. low beam. [1935 40] * * * … Universalium
high beam — noun Date: 1939 a vehicle headlight beam with a long range focus … New Collegiate Dictionary
high beam — noun (U) AmE lights at the front of a car that are on as brightly as possible see also: brights … Longman dictionary of contemporary English
High Beam Assist system — С осени нынешнего года автомобили BMW 5 , 6 и 7 серии, оборудованных ксеноновыми фарами головного света, можно будет заказать с системой адаптивного освещения High Beam Assist. Разработчик этой системы – американская компания Gentex, технология… … Энциклопедия ньюсмейкеров
high beam indicator — A blue light on the instrument panel which comes on when the high beams are activated. Also called beam indicator. The British term is main beam indicator … Dictionary of automotive terms